Up in 4-wheel drive territory, just off the oceanfront near North Swan Beach, sits Wash Woods. Wash Woods Station was built in 1917 by the U.S. Coast Guard to replace an older lifesaving station a few miles to the north.
During its years of active duty, Wash Woods Station housed many guardsmen who performed countless brave rescues. With German U-boats thick off the coast during World War II, Coast Guard stations along the Virginia and North Carolina shores prepared for conflict. At this time, Wash Woods was home to about 30 guardsmen. The lookout tower was constantly utilized and armed patrolmen strode the beach searching for signs of the enemy.*
Doug and Sharon Twiddy purchased the property in 1988 and carefully restored it. For a while it was used as a real estate office, then offered as a vacation rental to more adventuresome guests looking for something a little different.
Today, our family business, Whitley Painting, is in the process of preserving and freshening up the exterior. Wayne recently captured the beauty of this special place.